Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• if you support worker's rights....

boycott Apple

The company Apple contracts to make it's products, forces workers to work 70+ hour weeks, on their feet, for a whopping $8.50 PER DAY(so around 70 cents per hour) stuffs them living 24 to a room, lets them see their families once a year, oh and they made $6 BILLION in profits last year!

But hey Americans need their overpriced consumer goods, so exploit people in other countries, what do we care, we NEED our ipods, ipads, and iphones!

I think I'm going to be sick.
    Last edited by BlaqueKatt; 05-04-2011, 04:05 AM.
    Registered rider scenic shore 150 charity ride

I'm not even sure if it's sad that this doesn't surprise me. It's not like this is the first time this has happened. It's been happening for years.
    Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Honestly, if you truly support workers' rights, you wouldn't buy any mass produced tech toy.

In this case, the company is Foxconn, not Apple, and their partners also include Sony and Nokia, a fact conveniently ignored by the linked article.

Article at AFP

Wiki page with a partial list of their corporate clients, including other notables as Microsoft, Nintendo, Amazon, and Hewlett-Packard, almost none of which ever get mentioned when they hit the news because it's not nearly as fashionable as hating on Apple.

^-.-^
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I don't buy apple because their stuff is overpriced and propriatary as hell *shrugs*
        Happiness is too rare in this world to actually lose it because someone wishes it upon you. -Flyndaran

Comment

I don't buy Apple anything because it's too expensive (and 9/10 Mac users I've met are complete and total d-bags).

Comment

Originally posted by Evandril View Post
            I don't buy apple because their stuff is overpriced and propriatary as hell *shrugs*
            Same. You'd think with all they're charging for their stuff, there would be better working conditions.

Of course, the real evil are those sweat shops (China sounds like a real shithole of a country). If Apple cares that employees are "treated with dignity and respect", they will lay down the law.

Comment

Add one more to the apple is for trendy d-bags, I got an Ipod for getting a bank account, I almost never use the thing. I have no idea why I can only load songs using THEIR software, and I had coworkers be able to download a podcast to their generic mp3 player in flashdrive mode, walk out into the shop and play it on our set of speakers. I mean really, WTF apple

Comment

I'm not sure which is trendier: Buying Apple products or bashing them.

^-.-^
                Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Originally posted by insertNameHere View Post
                  Add one more to the apple is for trendy d-bags,
                  you realize that there are apple users on this forum, right?

personally, i just like a product that works the way it's supposed to. my macbook has been running strong for 5 years with nary a problem. my last windows machine crashed a month out of the box, and the ones we use at work seem to go down about every other week.

but clearly, i just use an apple because i'm a trendy d-bag

Comment

Originally posted by linguist View Post
                    you realize that there are apple users on this forum, right?

personally, i just like a product that works the way it's supposed to. my macbook has been running strong for 5 years with nary a problem. my last windows machine crashed a month out of the box, and the ones we use at work seem to go down about every other week.

but clearly, i just use an apple because i'm a trendy d-bag
                    I must be a T-Dbag to then YAY ME!!!

God forbid I get my iphone because it was A cheaper than all of the other smart phones and B was the only one I found I could figure out without having to go through a dry manual.

If you don't want to support this type of labour then you are going to be buying a whole lot less of everything. Where do most of your clothes come from, your shoes, your eletronics, your appliances. Do you think most of the pressed plastic in your house is made in America?
                    I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ - Gandhi

Comment

Originally posted by kiwi View Post
                      Do you think most of the pressed plastic in your house is made in America?
                      Exactly.

If one is not just being yet another Apple-bashing sheeple, then they'd also be boycotting pretty much all gaming that involves any sort of electronics, as well as most things related to computers, seeing a how this company is the largest manufacturer or printed circuit boards in the world.

BTW, this likely includes all digital payment systems, most modern cars, digital cameras, modern appliances...

Or, one could just jump on the "boycott Apple" bandwagon; it's what all the hipsters are doing.

^-.-^

Comment

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
                        I'm not sure which is trendier: Buying Apple products or bashing them.

^-.-^
                        Marry me

Comment

Originally posted by insertNameHere View Post
                          Add one more to the apple is for trendy d-bags, I got an Ipod for getting a bank account, I almost never use the thing. I have no idea why I can only load songs using THEIR software, and I had coworkers be able to download a podcast to their generic mp3 player in flashdrive mode, walk out into the shop and play it on our set of speakers. I mean really, WTF apple
                          I got a 160gb iPod years ago, the only reason I chose apple over all others was that no one else was manufacturing hard drive based mp3 players or atleast selling them through main retail chains in the UK, I wanted a Creative Nomad or whatever it was called a few years before that, but never got one and afaik they had moved on to flash drive ones.

Every other brand was flash and I could buy a 64gb for a little less than my iPod, £/gb ratio won out not brand.

I opted for an iPhone 4 when mine was up for renewal, actually it was long over due but they stopped contacting when it was up for renewal time, which I found odd. I kinda broke the screen on my LG Viewity a few days prior, but if they contacted me prior when it was due, I would have had whatever as they had not taken up apple as 02 at the time was still exclusive.
                          But I only wanted to see what the fuss was about this type of smartphone, the android options are too plentiful for me to make a choice as something better would be out within a month.

At the end of the day its Foxconn more than apple at fault, sure apple could set up shop in the states, but that would cut into profits, but it's not just apple/foxconn and their customer, how about going after those $100+ trainers like Rebok Nike etc, made for pennies.

Someone else said it already but I'll say it again. Say your wii/ps3/360's were made or contained parts from foxconn, you gonna boycot them too?

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Tea View Post
                            Say your wii/ps3/360's were made or contained parts from foxconn, you gonna boycot them too?
                            You don't have to say it - they do. Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft are all partners with Foxconn. As are HP and Dell, to go with Apple, so kiss that new laptop goodbye, too.

^-.-^

Comment

I think the reason Apple is so 'trendy' (as is hating Apple) is their marketing strategy. Apple markets itself as a luxury brand, but its competing in the marketplace with non-luxury brands. Its easy to hate because their marketing seems to take it as a given that they're better, and owning an Apple product makes you better too. To me, apple is pretty much on the level of other computer companies. I don't hate Apple any more than I hate Dell, Toshiba, or anyone else.

Someone else said it already but I'll say it again. Say your wii/ps3/360's were made or contained parts from foxconn, you gonna boycot them too?
                              Aren't they?
                              Last edited by Hyena Dandy; 05-05-2011, 09:57 PM.
                              "Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
                              ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"

Comment

Working...
                              X